This is another very important factor for any leg exercise. This is a great exercise because it works so many of the different muscles of the leg giving you a very comprehensive workout. It works the quadriceps and calf of the leg you are lunging with and it allows you to stretch and work the opposite hamstrings. The weight of the dumbbells allows you get more of a workout because that is simply extra weight that these muscles must work to support.
How to do a dumbbell lunge
1. Start with your body completely straight and your feet facing forward hip width apart.
2. Bring one leg forward and lunge. Make sure to keep your foot perpendicular to your shin (do not lean your shin forward) so that you are targeting your quadriceps
3. You will want to make sure that you land on your heel and roll onto the ball of the foot
4. You want to bend your knee and hip as your move your weight from the heel of your foot to the ball so that your thigh is parallel to the floor.
5. Then you will push off from the ball of your foot to go back to standing straight up with both of your feet together, hip width apart
6. Repeat the above instructions with the opposite leg. Continue this pattern of rotating legs until you have completed the amount of reps in your set
Tips for getting the best results whiles doing a dumbbell lunge
Remember your posture because it is very easy to cheat with this exercise by throwing off your posture. What this means is that you can do many sets and find that it is doing little for you because you are not working the right muscles in the right way
You can get a more complete workout by working the upper body with the dumbbells in your hands. This can be as simple as just doing your bicep curls while you are doing your lunges. The one thing to keep in mind though is that you do not want to have an exercise that will throw you off while you are doing this exercise
Make sure that you sit into the lunge and the farther you can go the better
It is important to not let your knee come forward while doing this. Your calf and foot should be positioned in an L position (90 degree angle)
If you want to really blast your legs with this exercise, instead of alternating legs, you can just do all the reps for the set on one leg and then move to the other leg and do all the reps for that leg
It is important to focus on the muscles as you move through the exercise. Do not just move fast. Instead you want to perform it at a speed where you can make sure you are moving with control and focus on the muscles you are working.
From one person to the next, physical fitness means different things. Fitness centers around the personal needs of the exerciser, in terms of personalized exercise sessions and habits. The sheer amount of diet and weight loss options available to you can seem overwhelming. This article can help you weed out the good ideas from the […]
If you are like a lot of people, fitness is not very easy. If you lack sufficient knowledge, it can be hard to get into a normal regimen. Guidance is key towards getting into shape. This article will provide you with some helpful tips that can get you started. It’s important to strengthen your thighs […]
Fitness involves more than just a few visits to the gym. To reach your fitness goals and bettering your health, you need to have the knowledge of what to do, the body strength to carry out the exercises and the persistence and patience to see it through. Below, you will be provided with tips that […]
Whether you are out of shape and looking to get fit for the first time or a trained athlete, the right knowledge can always help. When you know and understand how the body works, you will be able to improve your fitness level and make gains in your life. You will achieve the results you […]